Well Spring has finally sprung and chances are your diet needs a little clean out as well to help you get into your best shape for the warmer months ahead. The first place to start when you diet needs a spring clean is with your cupboards and fridge – get rid of the processed foods you know you should not be eating and restock with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as healthy meal and snack options. After this has been done, take some time to prepare a couple of healthy meals so you have some quick and easy options to grab when time gets away from you. Next, base at least one meal a day around a salad, soup or vegetables. The extra vegetables will give your diet a kick start, clean out your digestive system and rid the body of any extra fluid. Finally, get organised – plan and pack your meals and snacks each day so you are not tempted by extras when you find yourself hungry. Once you take control of your food and your nutrition, healthy eating really does become easier. To get you started, I’ve included a Spring recipe for you below, enjoy!
Spring Lamb with Walnuts & Beetroot
- 4 beetroots, peeled and cubed
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 8 lamb loin chops
- 2 tbsp. garlic infused oil
- 3 sprigs rosemary, destemmed
- 100g walnut, roughly chopped
- 160g spinach
- 160g rocket
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the beetroot on a baking tray, drizzle with half the oil, the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for 30 mins.
2. Combine the rest of the oil with the rosemary and a dash of salt and pepper. Rub over the lamb chops.
3. Heat a nonstick pan over a medium to high heat. Add the lamb and cook for 2-4 mins on each side.
4. Roughly chop the walnuts.
5. Removing the beetroot from the oven, mix through the baby spinach, rocket and walnuts.
6. Divide the salad between plates and serve with lamb chops.