It’s February! The silly season is officially over, and it’s time to settle back into the groove of everyday life and head back to work/school. And you know what that means – packed lunches. Before you groan, let me tell you that packed lunches don’t always have to mean a boring sandwich and a piece of fruit! If I don’t have any leftovers from dinner, I like to prep for a couple of lunches at a time in the evenings. Some of my favourites include rice salad, pasta salad, interesting veggie wraps/sandwiches and vegan sushi, and I always make sure I include plenty of snacks like nuts and dried fruit, crackers and hummus, fresh fruit, and of course BOUNCE BALLS! I always opt for making lunches at home rather than buying something at work as I find that it works out loads cheaper and healthier.
I’ve shared with you my go-to recipe for vegan sushi – of course, you could change it up by adding in tinned tuna, marinated tofu strips, chicken and veggies are always interchangeable, but this is the combo I’m just loving at the moment! This is such a hit with both adults and kids alike, which makes it perfect for that back to school/work lunchbox.
Makes 2-3 rolls
- 2 cups sushi rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 large cucumber
- ½ avocado
- 2-3 sheets seaweed
- Cook sushi rice in water. Once cooked, stir through rice wine vinegar and salt.
- Meanwhile, cut veggies into long thin strips.
- Lay seaweed sheet flat on bamboo mat and spread half of the rice out, leaving space at two ends. Arrange veggies in a line down the middle of the rice.
- Roll the sushi up in the bamboo mat and seal edge of seaweed with a dab of water.
- Cut sushi roll into individual pieces using a damp, clean knife. Serve and enjoy!
I hope you all love this recipe and get as much use out of it as I do (sushi is practically a weekly lunch staple for me!)