We’re getting right into the winter weather here in Perth and I’m finding myself leaning towards comfort foods rather than fresh salads and the like. Some traditional comfort foods can be a little unhealthy, which is why I love remaking my old favourite wintery classics with a vegan twist. My go-to dinner at the moment has been this mushroom bolognese – it’s sure to impress your vegan and non-vegan family and friends alike! I hope you love it!
Hearty Vegan Bolognese
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 500g white mushrooms
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 250g pasta of choice
- Handful spinach, chopped
- Parsley to serve
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add in onion and garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant.
- Add mushrooms to food processor and pulse until minced. Remove and place in a separate bowl and do the same with carrots.
- Add mushrooms and carrots to pan. When soft, add soy sauce and tomato paste.
- Add in can of crushed tomatoes and Italian herbs and simmer over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to instructions on packaging. When cooked to your liking, remove from heat and drain.
- Take sauce off heat and stir through chopped spinach until slightly wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix pasta through sauce and serve with fresh parsley.